What are the goods deemed as used household effects? (Property moved in connection with a transfer of residence)
All personal effects, household linen, furnishings and equipment intended for the personal use of the individuals. In order to benefit from relief, the goods shall be;
Information about restriction:
- Household belongings,
- Used or new,
- The property of the importer,
- Brought directly by the individuals before two months from the date of marriage at the earliest or after four months from the date of marriage at the latest and should be declared for free circulation.
Not constituting goods imported on the occasion of a marriage are:
Although the goods need to be used goods, the nature and/or the quantity of the goods may not evidence any commercial character.
- Alcoholic products,
- Tobacco and tobacco products,
- Commercial means of transport,
- Tools and equipment used in craft or profession, except those used by the deceased in his/her profession or craft.
- Wedding presents with a total value of more than 3000 euros. (The value of each wedding present would not exceed 430 euros.)
Conditions and arrangements for relief from customs duty:
Persons who come to Turkey by leaving their residences in a foreign country by marrying a Turkish citizen whose residence is in Turkey or,
Persons in order to marry a Turkish citizen whose residence is in Turkey and who marry in Turkey or,
Persons who come to Turkey for any reasons (such as tourism, visit, education, civil service) and marry a Turkish citizen whose residence is in Turkey within maximum one year may import their new or used household effects relief from customs duties.
Relief is given to persons who have been outside the Turkish Customs Territory for at least 12 months permanently and who provide a marriage certificate.
The nature and/or the quantity of the wedding presents may not evidence any commercial value and nature; sent on the occasion of marriage, by persons who reside in a foreign country, to a person who transfers his/her residence to Turkish Customs Territory from a foreign country after marrying a Turkish citizen whose residence is in Turkey, will be relief from customs duties on condition that the value of each gift would not exceed 430 Euros, and the total value of the gifts would not exceed 3000 Euros.
For those who want to import goods on the occasion of marriage, in order to enjoy the relief from customs duties, they will import the goods to Turkish Customs Territory before two months from the date of marriage at the earliest or after four months from the date of marriage at the latest.
The release of the goods for free circulation can be possible both in a single consignment and in several separate consignments within the permitted period (2 months before -4 months later). In the case the goods are brought before the marriage, provision of a guarantee is required for the customs duties at importation.
Goods imported relief from customs duties on the occasion of a marriage are not allowed to be transferred or sold or hired out or given as guarantee or lent without permission of customs administration unless 12 months elapse after the date of importation.
Article 50, 51 and 52 of the “Resolution on Application of Certain Articles of Customs Law Number 4458” attached to Council of Ministers Resolution number 2009/15481.
- Marriage certificate,
- Provision of a guarantee (Private individuals who import the goods to Turkish Customs Territory before two months from the date of marriage.),
- Entrance and exit registration of foreigners will be checked at the Turkish customs, also Turkish citizens should declare a document received from the Turkish consulate abroad or foreign representative office in Turkey relating a residence abroad for at least twelve months.
- Inventory of household effects to be attached to oral declaration form.